Friday, November 21, 2008

No, not that Matt McDonell...

When you google yourself, you learn all kinds of things about yourself that aren't true... and aren't you. Apparently, my name is common on Milwaukee and Australia. Here are some highlights from google entries that are about other me's:

- Gouda to Matt!! Big Cheese is here for you!!! You have been a wonderful addition to DC, hope to see those posts coming. (Apparently, this other me is a cheese enthusiast)

- Matt .. you have been so much fun and I am a huge fan :) (true, but not about me, unfortunately)

- My name is Matt McDonell, and I’m from Saint Cloud, Minnesota. I was born in California but moved to Minnesota at the age of four, so I’ve known the cold ... (I was born in California, but never lived in Minnesota. Therefore, another me)

- Matt McDonell,. today. revealed the secret to. writing a great media. release. “There are three aspe. cts to this,” he said, “layout, ... (apparently the Australian version of me likes to end sentences whimsically several times within each complete thought whereas I as everyone knows here in the United States will refuse to punctuate long run on streams of thought that could clearly be broken up by at least one period and certainly could use a little help from several commas semi colons and or colons hyphens dashes etc you know what I mean oh yeah question marks too)

- On an individual basis, Matt McDonell was recognized most often (72%) (it seems ironic that I could be recognized most often... and yet it was never me that was being recognized!)

- “The project targets people who are looking for something different”, says Matt McDonell, Chairman of Greater Sydney Tourism. (what's really weird is that Sean McDonell is the Chairman of Leser Sydney Tourism...)

- Winning second place was ASWN: Damen Hatton, Matt McDonell and Josh Long, all senior electrical engineering majors. They were awarded $200. (Clearly, electrical engineering is the perfect preparation for a career in promoting Australian tourism)

- Lakota Lacrosse Club and Lakota School District name Matt McDonell Head Coach for East boys for 2009 season. (Lacrosse: The sport of Australian Electrical Engineers)

- I am a third-generation Oaklander, both of my parents and three of four grandparents were born in Oakland (one grandfather was born in foreign lands, Berkeley), my grandfather’s house and father’s family home are still in the family, McDonell Avenue is named after my great-grandfather, I was married in the Rose Garden and our reception was at the Snow Building in Knowland Park. (This is really weird. I live across the bay from a street named after my great-grandfather... who is actually not related to me at all...)

- Temko welcomed new employee Matt McDonell to the District. Matt was recently. hired as a Deputy Harbormaster at Pillar Point Harbor. (This is from San Mateo, also next door to my home of San Francisco. There seems to be some sort of plot to draw out the Matt McDonells from Australia and Minnesota and concentrate them here, in the bay area...)

And there are many, many more. There seems to be a high concentration of Matt McDonells involved in sports around the world: I found Matt McDonells who were soccer players, lacrosse players, runners, rodeo riders, cricketers, and one Matt McDonell who provoked an online stream of swearing from a fellow whose knee Matt McDonell had thrown a stick at. Anyone who knows me knows that I live for sports and simultaneously watch up to 11 contests on the many HDTV's hanging from the walls and ceilings of my subterranean lair, so this makes perfect sense.

So google yourself. You'll discover sides of yourself that you never imagined to be true about yourself.

- "I'm not myself."

No comments: